Monday, February 21, 2011

Okonomiyaki [お好み焼き]

Okonomiyaki recently became one of my favorite Japanese foods. Yum yum! I found out that it originated from Kansai, Japan. For the first time in my life, I made Okonomiyaki! Yes~and it was a success! I had Okonomiyaki for snack on Valentine's Day(I should blog about that day) and that was my first time tasting one. I decided to give it a try. I looked up the recipe online and it seemed pretty easy, and it was. The other day, we went to get the ingredients...like okonomiyaki flour, okonomi sauce, kewpi mayo, aonori. It was also the first time I cooked for him^^. He even said it tastes better than the one we had at the little food shop.



It was also my first time slicing a cabbage and chopping garlic chives. The 2 eggs are waiting to join the rest of the mix :D. I just had to slice one half of a cabbage.






The cabbage is unevenly sliced up, but that's okay since it was my first time after all. The eggs are still waiting patiently. The Kansai Okonomiyaki style recipe had shrimp in it so I added that in(I like shrimp anyway).



The recipe said to put 3 bacon slices, but I decided to just cover the whole thing; so I used 5 bacon slices. He helped me flip because it was so big that it was not flippable with a small spatula. He flipped it over a few times. Smelling the bacon sizzle on the pan really made my mouth water.



And WALA! The Okonomiyaki turned out beautiful after spreading the okonomi sauce and
sprinkling Aonori(I love seaweed so I sprinkled a whole lot) and lastly, kewpi mayo. I hate myself for forgetting to bring the Bonito Flakes. The taste would have upgraded!!


I messed up on the mayo decoration since the mayo is new and unopened. See the messed up squiggly lines? Nonetheless, it looks absolutely delicious.


Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.........just look at that!! You're drooling at the screen now, aren't you?


A few hours later, we used the rest of the mix and made another one. This time, I drew a heart.



Pretty & Yummy~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts with me!